Search This Blog

Saturday 19 October 2013

Introducing ME [part2]


Candy my Cabbage Patch Kid
I tattooed her not long after.
  Children and marker pens do not mix.
*Read part 1 first - it's below this. Thanks.*

I find it very upsetting when I think back to how cruel some kids were.  A few solid friends stuck by me through primary and intermediate but to most, Friedreichs Ataxia made me ‘different’ and ‘unfamiliar’.  Kids would say spiteful things and tease.  I’d cry, get very upset, and quite often took refuge in the principal’s office.
I went home from primary school most days in tears.  Unfortunately, that reaction was what some of those nasty kids wanted and they’d call me names like ‘shaky’ or ‘handicap’ and tease me more.  When I overheard some children at school talking about things they had overheard from their parents, ‘Melinda won’t be able to move’ and ‘Melinda is going to die’, I told them they were silly and ran away and cried.  I knew there was some truth in what they were saying but not to what extent they were telling the truth.  I didn’t want to admit they could be accurate.  Finding out about my diagnosis so I could fully comprehend it was a must.
1st runner up Miss Hawkes' Bay
 & Miss Personality -
MELINDA BENNETT
To defeat the enemy, first you must know the enemy.  I read the books dad had been given thoroughly.   My fears were confirmed but even so I felt relieved: I understood what was happening to me – there’s no certain timeframe or certainty what will happen or when or how bad for FA.  . 
Even tho I now could argue back the facts of why I had slurred speech or why my body shook, the ridicule and bullying remained.   I still hear the taunts , one boy in particular  still haunts me years later.  He’d call me names and mimic my shaking body to his friends, who like their cowardly leader would laugh.  But instead  of walking away I’d run my mouth which would sadly  give him more ammunition to  fire at me.  I now realise I could & should have ignored him, or spoke to an older person - never would of I admitted it then but older people are sometimes wiser!
      Luckily by high school my peers and I were much more mature and understanding.

My attitude has remained the same basically I believe there’s 2 choices in life - (1) give up or (2) NEVER give up.  I am scared of what’s ahead but I live for today.  No one knows where their journey will take them, what paths they will go down or when the journey will end.  I hope I wake up tomorrow and a cure for FA is found.  Miracles DO happen everyday so having faith in that gives me strength and power.  No matter what happens in my life I will face it and fight those challenges when they crop up.  Everyday is a bonus for which  I am so very grateful to have.  Tomorrow is a gift so please enjoy it for yourself and for your loved ones  NEVER GIVE UP!. 

 xoxo


Marshall Mathers aka Eminem





No comments:

Post a Comment