Search This Blog

Saturday 29 March 2014

Soldier on with pride for ANZAC Day

Nearly all my life [33years] I have proudly worn a poppy on ANZAC Day.  My granddad and his father were soldiers.  When I was younger I wanted to be a solider in the New Zealand Army.  I used to think I’d get better and be physically able by the time I’d be an adult…. Then I realised a cure wasn’t about to happen anytime soon so the dream crashed.  But my respect for the NZ Army hasn’t waivered nor has my appreciation for the sacrifices made by soldiers in the past and today. 

I see a lot of effort and time to promote Valentines  Day, Halloween and Guy Fawkes.  Makes me wonder where  is the patriotic loyalty to decorate your shops, towns, workplaces, schools to promote and support  ANZAC Day??  Isn’t a day to celebrate our soldiers’ who stood up against evil to protect and honour our country  more important???  Children often are taught of traditional  symbols, such as a fluffy bunny for Easter, a fat guy in a red suit named Santa for  Christmas, a cupid for Valentines, a carved pumpkin for Halloween.  I believe learning the significant  history of  a poppy for ANZAC Day is being lost in this generation.  We must educate future generations and give them this sense of pride as well as paying respect ourselves’.

 April 25th was named ANZAC Day in 1916 to commemorate the landing of New Zealand and Australian   troops in Gallipoli one year earlier.  Since 1920 this day has served as a national public day for New Zealand to honour ALL men and women who laid their lives down - either whom were lucky enough to return home after their honourable duty or those whom paid the ultimate price while serving our country.

We lost 2721 lives in World War 1 and 11,928 in WW2.  We have since lost other soldiers while doing there part in rebuilding lives and creating stability in countries needing help.
    These soldiers did not go to war-torn lands for fame and fortune nor did they go for the glory of being ambushed and shot at.  Instead they went to war-torn lands to rebuild lives and give protection and hope to the innocent babies, children, men and woman who had their homes, workplaces, schools and futures threatened and destroyed by evil. They fought  to keep the  threat of foreign invasion off our shores.

 SOLDIER ON & HELP SAVE THE DAY… It deeply upsets me to see ANZAC Day being forgotten so please help change that and acknowledge April 25th.  Most towns have parade ceremonies [which are public & free].  The RSA sell official poppy badges [gold coin  donation .]
M
ake your own traditions too - wear  red, hang red balloons, light a candle for our departed heroes… celebrate ANZAC Day.
 
By  law shops  are not supposed to open till midday but to be honest I think some shop-owners are to greedy and disrespectful to acknowledge this.  - Don't   buy from  them ... I saw a local bakery open once  and went in and told them off!

Sometimes dreams crash but you can salvage and recreate that ambition - like my dream of becoming a soldier. I couldn't serve in the army BUT I can still fight for good ... so in a sense I am a soldier ...    REMEMBER; FRIDAY APRIL 25 ... Lest We Forget xoxo





1 comment:

  1. Hi Melinda,

    Congratulations on not giving up. That's how we get better. My pancreas started packing up six years ago, and my father passed suddenly with pancreatic cancer. There's no treatment for it. But I found something, and I'm now fine.

    As a result I became a practitioner and moved to Tamatea recently. I wonder if I can help you in any way. I often treat the nervous system to start rebuilding it using only natural therapies. You are welcome to pick my brains as it were. See if anything resonates with you. Keep on searching. Somebody somewhere out there has answers, or a part of the answer.

    Keep up the good work

    John Carver

    ReplyDelete